Greetings Challenge Daytona Athletes!
Welcome to the 2020 CHALLENGEDAYTONA Event, a USA Triathlon Sanctioned event.
You are racing under the USAT Competitive Rules. If you have not already done so, please take some time to thoroughly review the contents in the email sent out by Challenge COO, Jillian Wilkins titled “Everything you need to know” before you arrive on race day. This email covers a great deal of information regarding the event, including a USAT race rules briefing.
In order to minimize misunderstandings on race day, We hope you will take the time to review the provided Pre-Race Rules Briefing and the USAT Competitive Rules. In addition, We want to take time to review the top rules citations which have been issued at this event over the last two years and provide a few tips to avoid penalties on the course.
Entire Course: All competitors are required to follow the prescribed course, complete the course in its entirety, and to stay within all coned lanes. Cutting the course is an obvious violation and going outside the course is a safety issue. Please make sure you complete each part of the course in its entirety, including ensuring you complete the required number of laps. Penalty: Officials discretion (judgement call), time penalty or disqualification. Missing a lap will result in a disqualification.
Chin Straps: Chin straps must be fastened at all times while in possession of your bike. This means from the time you remove your bike from the rack at the start of the bike leg, until after you have placed your bike on the rack at the finish of the bike leg. Penalty: Disqualification on the course; warn and amend in transition area only, but failure to follow the official’s instructions could result in a time penalty.
Bike Position Rules:
- Drafting–keep at least three bike lengths of clear space between you and the cyclist in front. If you move into the zone, you must complete your pass within 15 seconds.
- Position–keep to the side of the lane of travel unless passing.
- Blocking–riding in the outside lane of travel without passing anyone and impeding other cyclists attempting to pass.
- Overtaken— once passed, you must immediately make rearward progress out of the draft zone of the passing cyclist and move completely out of the draft zone within 15 seconds.
- Passing–All competitors are required to pass on the outside of the leading cyclist being passed. Cyclists must not pass on the inside (closest to side of the road or lane of travel) of another cyclist. NOTE: At the Challenge Daytona event, while on the track, passing is required on the right, and when outside the track passing is required on the left.
- Penalty–Though Position Violations carry a time penalty for first offense, two citations will result in an additional penalty and if you are cited for three violations, you will be disqualified.
Be sure to check the penalty sheet before you leave the race site and speak with the head official if you have any questions. If you have any questions before the event, please do not hesitate to reach out to us, or ask an official on race morning in transition.
All that being said, I hope you have a great race, lots of fun, and achieve all your goals.
Please find the race briefing video here.
USAT HR – Middle & Youth
USAT HR – Sprint